– Gift Aid



What is Gift Aid?

It is a scheme designed to encourage donors – who must be taxpayers – to sign a declaration form so that all their donations to the Diocese or any other charity or community amateur sports clubs (CASCs) within a tax year can be treated as Gift Aid donations. The donations can be of any amount, there is no lower or upper limit and they do not have to be of a fixed amount or frequency. By signing the forms, donors can ensure that their parishes get a substantial refund from the Inland Revenue without having to increase their level of giving.
In order for the parish to benefit from your donations:
• You must be a UK Taxpayer
• You must complete a Gift Aid Declaration
• Your contributions must be easily identified as coming from you.
For every pound you give, your parish will get back an additional 25 pence from the Inland Revenue.



I am already giving to my parish in the Offertory Collection. Will it cost me more to join the Gift Aid Scheme? Is this something extra?
No – It will cost you nothing extra. You are not being asked to give more money, simply to sign a declaration so that the parish can reclaim the tax refund on your giving. The Inland Revenue is only handing back to the parish the income tax you have already paid, so it will not affect you in any way.

How does the system work?

The parish needs to be able to prove to the Inland Revenue that they have kept proper records of your gifts. If you prefer to give by cash, then you must use the numbered envelope system (supplied by the parish) or give by cheque or Bankers Order. In other words, if you put your gift in the plate ‘loose’ i.e. without using a numbered envelope (unique to you), then regrettably the parish would be unable to identify the cash as coming from you and would not benefit from your generosity.

How do I go about signing a Gift Aid Declaration?

Ask your Parish Gift Aid Organiser for a form. It simply asks you to give your name and address and your consent so that all your donations can be treated as Gift Aid donations. You should sign and date the form.


If you require further information about the Gift Aid scheme, please contact:
• Parish Gift Aid Secretary – Mr Stephen Gasche at ashfordgac@rcaos.org.uk 


Contact your Parish Gift Aid Secretary to join the scheme and make your contributions to the Church by either weekly numbered envelopes or Bank Standing Order.

Frequently asked questions

How much tax must I pay to be able to take part in Gift Aid?
You can join the Gift Aid Scheme providing you are a UK Taxpayer and pay an amount of income tax at least equal to the amount of any refund reclaimed by the Archdiocese or any other charity you donate to within a tax year.

Do I have to make a Binding Commitment?
No. Gift Aid is not a binding commitment and the parish will only claim back a tax refund on the actual amount you have given. You will not be asked to make up any missed payments, unless you choose to do so.

What happens if I change my address?
Just inform the Parish Gift Aid Secretary. You do not have to complete a new form.

What if I stop paying Income Tax or wish to cancel?
Inform the Parish Gift Aid Secretary and we will cancel your Declaration.

Can I change the amount I give?
Yes. You can increase or decrease the amount you give at any time without having to complete a new declaration.

Is Gift Aid Confidential?
Yes. You do not have to disclose details of your income, savings, pensions or any other personal details.

What if I move to another parish?
If you have already signed a Gift Aid Declaration, all you have to do is to advise your new Parish Gift Aid Secretary of this fact and continue to use a method of payment that is easily recordable by the new parish.